Friday, May 6, 2011

Monkeys!


I went to England to see some monkeys! Well, let me rephrase – I went to Gibraltar, an English providence, to see Barbary Macaques. Regardless, it was a blast. A giant rock (Gibraltar) is connected to Spain by an airport runway which you walk across to get onto the rock. My second morning there I was stopped on the Spain side by railways crossing arms and got to watch a plane land right in front of me. It’s really loud!

Kelsey, my travel partner, and I wandered down Gibraltar’s main street our first day there heading to the cable car that takes you to the top of the rock. Passing the quintessential British red phone booths and tons of duty free shops we enjoyed the walk through tunnels and the old town squares immensely. Up we went in the cable car to the top! And who was there to greet us? The monkeys!

At the top, we came across a guide who had a monkey on his shoulder. I had gotten a couple monkeys to hold my hand but that was it. So naturally I asked him if he could get one to sit on my shoulder. He put his arm around my shoulder, made a clicking noise, and a monkey launched himself at me, climbing up my side and onto my shoulder! The guide gave the monkey a peanut M&M as a treat!

After monkeying around for a while (haha, get it?!) we began our hiking- up up and farther up to the highest point of the rock. What a view! Africa is a right across the strait, shrouded in low-lying clouds, a giant mountain of rock. Looking down you see boats crossing the strait and the beautiful blue color of the Mediterranean. From the highest point we took the back way out and climbed down a path called the Mediterranean Steps on the south eastern side of the rock. They weren’t kidding about the name! Hundreds and hundreds of steps that cover a distance of almost 300 meters straight up and down. I haven’t seen switchbacks like those since we were in the Rockies on the western road trip. We came across a guy and his 2 dogs that do the Med Steps up every day. Let’s just say his legs looked more like tree trunks than human appendages. That evening we ate in an English pub and watched the sun set over the Mediterranean and Spanish mountains.

The second day Kelsey and I went our separate ways (after a night of trying to sleep through incredibly loud peacock sqwauking). I stayed and she traveled on to Ronda. My day was great. I walked around the north-eastern edge of Gibraltar where we hadn’t walked the day before then I hopped on a bus and was taken into the city center again. After strolling around the city center and making friends with the locals I crossed the runway back into Spain and hit the beach! Any day where I can hit the beach for a few hours is a good day.

I caught the 3pm bus back to Sevilla and the first hour of the bus ride was the most beautiful bus ride I had even been on. Picture California’s Highway 1 – the flowers, the beaches, the ocean. Now picture Africa being in the distance across a light blue sea. This trip was my first time seeing the Mediterranean – and I don’t know what people are talking about it being warm.  False! That was some chilly water. But they are correct when they say it is a beautiful sight. I couldn’t agree more.

Enjoy the pix! I enjoyed taking them. I officially have one week left before I start backpacking. A week from now I will be on a train heading to Barcelona!  I miss and love you all.    - At
Monkey!!!
Gibraltar
Taking a little breather on the Mediterranean Steps.
What do they think I'm going to do? Lie down and nap in the middle of the runway? Of course I am going to cross quickly!
So English  :)
Gibraltar's welcome committee
The view the whole way down the Steps
The gorgeous sunset that was a great end to a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment