Sunday, May 15, 2011

The first leg of the journey


Barcelona- What a great place to start off a trip. I had been told it is a city unlike any in the world. I agree. The city is so lively and colorful that you can’t help gawking at everything you see. The Sagrada Familia church is amazingly intricate and colorful. It is unlike any building I have ever seen before. A modern church replicating a gothic cathedral. It reminded me of a giant sand castle topped with honey combs. This was Gaudi's final masterpiece and remains unfinished. There are cranes and construction still going on today to finish the original designs. Gaudi’s influence and architecture can be seen throughout the city. One of my favorite places was park guell, a park designed by Gaudi as well (and where he lived is a crookedly cool house with odd angles- perfect for the master of architectural eccentricities. Our hostel was right on the beach so Kenzie and I enjoyed a couple hours of fun in the sun Saturday and then that night we walked along the beach to get some ice-cream! Yummerzz.

Today we got to Marseilles for our 24hr southern France stay. We took a stroll tonight after getting Indian food for dinner (delicious! I miss food with actually flavor) and walked all along the port where we are staying. We turned one corner and had the most amazing view. The cathedral Notre Dame is beautifully lit up on the highest hill with the castle in the foreground glowing a purple blue in the night. I look forward to our exploring tomorrow. Pictures to come, I promise! Miss and love you all  - At

No comments:

Post a Comment