Wednesday, May 4, 2011

La Feria


This week is the biggest party in all of Andalusia, in all of Spain truthfully. It’s La Feria time! La Feria is a weeklong festival that takes place in my neighborhood, Los Remedios. Women wear colorful and form-fitting flamenco dresses and men wear suits and ties. People ride horses up and down the packed street wearing typical Caballero garb which is a set of high-rise black pants a short, decorated suit jacket and a flat rim black hat. The dresses are amazing to see and I was not let out! I bought one for myself so I fit right in!

La Feria extends over an area of at least 6 city blocks by 6 blocks. There are green and white and red and white striped tents that are privately owned where people congregate to dance, drink, eat and talk. There are 50 public tents, but you have to know where to look! 

La Feria began Monday night at midnight when all the lights are light up on the Portado (the big entrance). The lights go on and people cheer, whistle, and kiss. It reminded me of what we do when the ball drops on New Year’s Eve. I’ve been to La Feria both Monday and Tuesday night and have been into a few public tents and a couple private ones as well. One thing I wish I knew how to do is dance the Sevilliana as it looks like so much fun when all the men and women in the tents know the steps which you can apply to any Sevilliana song. It’s so fun to watch, but you know me, I want to dance too! 

With my flower in my hair and my blue rufly dress I have enjoyed La Feria so far. The typical drink at La Feria is a rebujito – made from manzanilla (a liquor from Cadiz) and sprite. My Spanish friends and my senora all have warned me to be careful as they all have experienced the drinking of WAY too many rebujitos. I have tried it just to see what it tasted like and I can see how one could easily drink too much, it is pretty tasty. 

I am off to Gibraltar for the day with my friend Kelsey; I want to see some monkeys! We are staying overnight there and then she heads on the Ronda while I am going to spend some time on the beach tomorrow! Then I am heading back to enjoy La Feria some more. I only have a week left in Sevilla. I leave next Friday the 13th to start off my backpacking trip! First stop – Barcelona! 

I love and miss you all. A special thanks to my parents for coming! I have missed you all and I cannot wait to see my sisters and Aunt Marj and Jerri during my month of traveling afterward. I am meeting with Em and Reuben in Paris for a couple days and Aunt Marj, Jerri, and Han for my last week to see Brugge and Amsterdam!
Peace - At

Picture from Feria will be up in a couple days - I have only been twice and have not accumulated any that I am very excited to show yet.  Keep posted for the updates!  Miss and love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment