Friday, April 8, 2011

Evan's Visit - Sevilla

Evan was here to visit sunny southern Spain beginning Monday night and her left Friday morning. Monday evening we explored Sevilla at night. This wonderful city never sleeps before at least 2 in the morning. You can wander down streets packed with bars and café and see women in their 70’s and 80’s relaxing in the warm night air as they sip their red wine and gossip the night away. Next down will be a popular club for younger people. In Sevilla you can always see the amusing juxtaposition of something very relaxed like old men sitting on a bench having a beer right outside the hyped up night clubs packed with people in their 20’s. 

Tuesday we set off on foot to walk all over the city. My friend Becky runs walking tours so we hopped on that and learned some fun little legends about different plazas in Sevilla (I’ll tell you soon!) and when the 2 hour walk finished we went for lunch with a few people we had met. Later we headed out by ourselves so that I could show Evan the Sevilla that I know and love. It’s so fun to watch people’s expressions the first time they see Plaza de España. It’s truly awe-inspiring but now I have seen its beauty so many times that I have come to think of it as the place where I go before class to read and people watch. 

Tuesday evening we went to la Carbonaria – a local flamenco joint with live music and dancing. I am not flamenco aficionado but it is quite the experience to see a show. It is the most intense dancing you will ever see. It is a dance of passion, loud and with lots of stomping and eye contact. 

Wednesday we hit the Cathedral and the Alcazar (palace) in the morning then made ourselves a picnic lunch and sat down by the river. Later that evening we went to what I have been told is a life-changing ice cream shop called Rayas. They weren’t lying. It was delicious. I got lemon and strawberry and it was the best ice cream I have ever tasted. Without a doubt I will now a considered a regular there. 

Wednesday night we went to the International Cerveceria – International beerhouse which has a menu of over 200 beers from all over the world. Evan picked out a German beer for me (delicious and wheaty – Krombacher Weizen) and I he got an Irish beer. The second round ended up with me having an Argentinian beer and Evan had a Belgium beer. It was fun to going a literally have no clue what you are going to get. We finished the night with burgers when we met up with my friends Brandon, Brian, and Leo. Yummm
Barrio Santa Cruz - the old Jeswish quarter in Sevilla is the most beautiful neighborhood of the city.
I'm not sure exactly what these purple flowers are but they have the most heavenly smell ever and they grow on vines that are planted on fences and walls all over Sevilla. This picture was taken in the gardens of the Alcazar
My life-changing ice cream from Rayas
The flamenco show
Sevilla's Plaza de Torros bull ring. It looks out over the river and is a beautiful building when lit up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment