Thursday, March 31, 2011

Loving Life


It has been a beautiful few days in Sevilla. Tomorrow I head for Portugal to enjoy a few days on the beach. And what does every beach vacation need? Junk books, of course!  I went to the English bookstore today and grabbed 2, I haven’t read a book in English in 2 months so I am even more excited to read than normal (hard to believe right?).

Yesterday I met up with a new friend I made on St. Patricks day. His name is Pablo and studied at the British Institute here and learned his English there. We met at Starbucks of all places and chatted for 2 hours, I only spoke in Spanish and he only spoke in English. It must have been a funny conversation to overhear as every question’s response was in a different language from the one in which it was asked. Pablo told me all about hermandads which are Holy Week clubs/fraternities/brotherhoods that parade around Sevilla during Semana Santa. They wear robes reminiscent of the KKK except in colors (Pablo’s hermandad wears black robes and hats). His parades at 2 am Thursday night of Semana Santa. I guess I will be heading there right after I drop off my luggage from my Prague/Berlin trip.

I got some great news this week. Evan Schmidt, a friend of mine on the Purdue Waterski team, is coming to visit me next week! He gets here Monday night and is staying through Friday. Evan is studying and working in Germany this semester and through the summer and he is coming to visit me on his week off. I plan to visit him while I travel after my program.  It will be so nice to see a face from home and it’s always fun to show people around my city. I am looking forward to his visit immensely. 

Tonight right after our novels class Lauren, Britt and I are headed up to Nervion (Lauren’s neck of the woods) to grab tapas and then head to the mega movie theater to see Gnomio y Julieta – Spanish Romeo and Juliet: garden gnome version.  It will be my first spanish non-dubed movie and I am very excited for it. The previews look absolutely hilarious! 

Earlier tonight I felt like reading a bit so I headed to parquet Maria Luisa and got to sit in the shade under a natural canopy of the most fragrant purple flowers. Sheer paradise.  I wish I had taken my camera with me. I need to remember to take it with me at all times. There is so much I see every day and I want to be able to look back at the pictures of it all years from now and remember this once in a lifetime experience. 

I am living the life here. No doubt about it – everything is amazing. Spain, sun, school, and soooo much traveling… it doesn’t get any better. I am blessed to have been given this chance to be here. Thank you to my parents (I can’t wait for you to come)!
 I love and miss you all  <3  At

No comments:

Post a Comment