Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting the hang of it!

Hola todos!




I'm finally getting settled and am starting to know my way around the city more. We went to Las Ruinas Italicas (ancient roman ruins) this morning and it was beautiful. It's in the mid 50's here which is great, but none of the buildings have central heating so it's in the 30s inside our apartment at night. I have to take my first shower in my homestay tonight (I guess its really looked down upon to shower more often than every 2 days at least) and I'm a little nervous because when my roommate took a shower that was warm enough to create a little steam, our senora said it was too hot and we should take cold, short showers. It's all part of the culture and will just take some adapting on my part. Wish me luck!   :)
There are no veggies served yet beside a salad of solely iceberg lettuce with olive oil and tons of vinegar. It's not my cup of tea precisely but any veggie is better than none at all. I had to kind of giggle when we were served a plateful of lightly battered and fried thin chicken with a side of bread and cheese. But I spoke with my senora Ana today about how much my mom and sister loved asparagus and broccoli (my favs) and I think she said she would get asparagus soon- I'm crossing my fingers!!

1 comment:

  1. Attie,
    Margy, Tally and I were getting caught up with you this AM and this is the post that most resonated with all of us. Margy said to have no veggies sounds ok--but she would miss carrots. I think a short, cold shower would take the biggest adjustment, but Tally says, "no, Mom, that is the experience. It's cool!" Hope you are doing okay. Your classes sound like they will be interesting and good ones...hope you get all of your first choices. Sounds like a great schedule too.

    Take care of you :-). Know that the Seitz fam is thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete